It’s perfectly OK to set boundaries! You will still be caring and loving person, but you choose what you want to care about. There are some things we just can’t allow into our lives, the things that are taking away our energy, the things that others take for granted .. and we allow them.
Just say NO!
This post was inspired by two accidents that occurred to me last week.
The first one, a friend of a friend asked to meet me to help her with job hunting. We set up the meeting and she cancelled, just an hour before our meeting. I offered her next timeslot, same time next week. Her response: “Really? Not sooner?” And mine: “No, I have “meetings” day and this is it.” You need me, right?
Then a colleague invited me for the coffee. You know I love coffee and I said yes. Then it was “Oh, and bring your laptop, so you’ll help me with my website.” And I said no. Then she tried to reschedule… “Can I come to your place in half an hour?” “NO! I have my plans, I have my stuff to do and I’ll meet you for a coffee, nothing else. At the time we set.”
Sounds familiar? I’m proud to be able to stand for myself and to honor my priorites. How about you?
Say NO to your kids!
- No, they can get their own drink!
- No, you don’t need to drive them to the mall when they want!
- No, you don’t need to check everything!
- No, they don’t need you to do things for them they are capable of doing!
Say NO to your husband!
- No, you don’t need to drop everything to accomodate his needs!
- No, you don’t need to please him all the time!
- No, you don’t need to watch football!
- No, you don’t want your hair long!
- No, his job is not the only thing important!
Say No to your friends!
- No, some things can wait!
- No, you don’t want one-sided friendships!
- No, you don’t want to rescue them!
Say NO to your clients!
- You don’t need to be available all the time!
- You don’t need to work for them if you don’t want,
- You don’t need to finish in unreasonable time!
- You don’t need to correct their mistakes!
- You don’t need to offer discount or even work for free.
- You don’t need to take their bullsh***
Say NO to yourself!
- No, you are not postponing your dreams over and over again!
- No, you don’t need another coffee.
- No, you don’t need to please everyone!
- No, you don’t need to watch your words!
- No, you don’t need to do what you’re supposed to do at this age!
- No, don’t follow your parents dreams!
- No, don’t give away your power!
- No, you are not taking this sh**
You are YOU, you are Unique and you can do what you want and what you dream of.
And no one can stop YOU!
Just say NO more often!
What would you add to the list? How are you allowing others to run your life? Where are you giving them the power? How can you say NO more often?
Use this template from “50 of Everything” workbook and write down 50 things you should say NO to.
(simply click on the image below and the pdf file will download automatically to your computer)
You are still loved!
p.s. If you liked this post, please share it simply by highlighting the words you love. THANK YOU!